Sandwich PhD Programme
The Board of Governors of the Institute in its 12th meeting held on 20th December 2019 has approved the Sandwich PhD Programme effective from April 1, 2020 to provide an opportunity to improve research abilities, and to establish and/or increase work opportunities in an international context.
There are two options for carrying out Sandwich PhD:
- A Doctoral stay as part of a joint supervision, in that case the student may register in both Institutes/Universities, OR
- The candidate is required to register at IIT (ISM) with or without the joint supervision.
The publication originating from the programme will indicate the affiliation of both the Institutes for the Doctoral Student.
If the period exceeds six months the student is expected to get financial support from the host institute. However, the institute support in any circumstances will not exceed 2.00 Lakhs (depending upon the country) plus his/her fellowship for six months and contingency grant.
Eligibility: A Doctoral Student after successfully defending his Research Proposal Seminar Duration: Minimum for Six Months.
The countries wise support by the Institute:
- Rs. 2.00 Lakhs for North America, Australia, South America and New Zealand.
- Rs. 1.50 Lakhs for Europe, Far-East Asia, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Indonesia and Africa.
- Rs. 1.00 Lakhs for Neighbouring Countries, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh, Burma, Pakistan, Gulf Countries, Singapore Malaysia, Thailand and Maldives.
- Support for Other countries will be decided on case-to-case basis.
Support: A Doctoral student will utilize his fellowship of six months plus accumulated contingency. In addition, the Institute would provide a maximum additional support of Rs. 2.00 Lakhs depending on the country of visit if the students does not get financial support from the host institute else the contribution of the Institute will be reduced proportionally. The maximum number of doctoral students to be supported by the Institute is 20 (Twenty) per year. The total amount can be used for air travel, visa processing fees, medical insurance, accommodation charges, daily expenses.
- Academic Performance in the Course Work, Comprehensive Examination and Research Proposal Seminar
- The ranking of the Institute and the research standing (viz., citations, h-index, i10-index) of the Professor where/with whom the sandwich programme would be carried out
- Research Paper, Patents, Book Chapters, if any.
- Research Proposal to be conducted during the Sandwiched Program along with deliverables, objectives and time frame.
Call for Sandwich Ph.D Programme will be made once in a year (preferably during the Month of March). If need arises the call for proposal can be twice a year. However, the number of doctoral students to be supported by the Institute will not exceed 20 per year in any case. The Doctoral Students need to avail the opportunity within a year.